So there is now apparently no length the alcoholic or the teenage drinker won’t go to get drunk. Whether they think it is funny or would make a good YouTube video, we are unsure, but the truth of the matter is that many kids will drink hand sanitizer to get a buzz. In fact, not only will kids drink the anti-bacterial liquid, but anyone looking to catch a quick buzz will.
Here are 14 Things That You Should Know About Drinking Hand Sanitizer:
1. A bottle of hand sanitizer contains the equivalent of five hard liquor shots
So a 240mL bottle of Purell contains the same amount of alcohol as say taking 5 shots of vodka.
2. Teens like to mix their hand sanitizer with Listerine
Albuquerque Police Department Deputy Chief Paul Feist says when hand sanitizer is mixed with nearly 80 proof Listerine you have a very strong “cocktail.”
3. Other teens use salt to separate the alcohol from the sanitizer making a potent drink similar to hard liquor.
The instructions on how to do this are all over the Internet. Actually it was kind of freaky how quickly Google suggested it for me when I was looking up the info about it.
4. You Get Drunk Really Really Fast
“All it takes is just a few swallows and you have a drunk teenager,” said Cyrus Rangan, director of the toxicology bureau for the county public health department and a medical toxicology consultant for Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
5. This Trend Started in New Zealand Prisons
Prisoners in New Zealand used hand sanitizer provided by prison authorities to make a powerful alcoholic brew. Three inmates of Rolleston Prison in Christchurch mixed the sanitizer with a sugar based fruit drink to make an alcoholic beverage and were found highly intoxicated.
6. Getting Drunk Off of Hand Sanitizer is Most Popular in Alaska, Missouri, and California
According to the LA Time, six teenagers have shown up in two San Fernando Valley ERs in the last few months with alcohol poisoning after drinking hand sanitizer. Alaska and Missouri also have reports of the growing trend.
7. Drink Hand Sanitizer Can Cause Diarrhea, Blindness, Memory Loss, and Damage to Internal Organs
The damage can be irreversible.
8. A man in Australia once drank 6 bottles of hand sanitizer and survived.
An alcoholic patient in Australia drank six bottles of hand sanitizer while being treated for alcoholism.
9. There are a bunch of YouTube videos of kids drinking it
10. You might end up killing someone if you drink it.
Albuquerque police officers found empty bottles of hand sanitizer and mouthwash next to a dead body.
11. Three Men Were Charged for Murder After Drinking It
Three men were said to have been drinking vodka, mouthwash, and hand sanitizer Friday morning when they beat the man to death.
12. The Albuquerque Police Department is currently asking stores not to sell mouthwash OR hand sanitizer to anyone who appears drunk.
13. If you buy hand sanitizer you can be extra safe and buy the foaming kind rather than the gel. It is harder to extract the alcohol and teens may be less likely to drink it.
14. Experts also say that parents shouldn’t leave hand sanitizer around the house.
Drinking hand sanitizer seems like a joke but it isn’t. Even if teens haven’t hurt themselves by drinking it, this kind of behavior is a serious warning sign of alcoholism. It’s been proven that the younger addicts and alcoholics being using, the harder it will be to get clean. If your loved one is drinking hand sanitizer, contact us @ 844-299-0618 to find out what to do next.