Does Cigna Health Insurance Pay for Detox or Rehab Services?
Realizing that you need professional help to deal with an addiction or substance abuse disorder is a major breakthrough, but we know that it also comes with some fear. Detox and rehab may be something that you’re unfamiliar with, and the unknown is frightening. On top of that, you may wonder how you’re going to pay for alcohol or drug addiction treatment.
At FHE, we’re available to help you answer all these questions so you can enjoy peace of mind about your decisions to seek help. Individuals with a Cigna medical policy can find out about Cigna rehabilitation options below.
FHE Accepts Cigna Health Care
FHE Health is proud to accept many forms of Cigna insurance coverage. Cigna actually offers a number of plans through employers and via federal and state health insurance marketplaces, so we can’t make a blanket statement about accepting every possible version of those plans.
What we do offer is a free, confidential insurance verification. This process allows us to find out if your specific plan will cover Cigna addiction treatment at FHE. While there are a number of Cigna substance abuse providers on any given plan, we may or may not be on all of them. We work with you to get your insurance information via our online form or phone. Then, we contact your individual Cigna plan to find out what services or covered and if we are a covered provider.
If we aren’t a provider under your plan, we can refer you to a facility that is.
What Is a Cigna Medical Policy, and Who Has It?
Cigna offers health insurance plans that meet federal mandates for coverage, which means that it can provide policies via employer-sponsored programs and the federal and state marketplaces. Individuals may have Cigna coverage if they have insurance through their employer or if they signed up for insurance individually through the marketplace during open enrollment. If you’re not sure who your insurance provider is, take a look at your insurance card. The logo or company name is likely printed on that card; you can also look at any correspondence sent to you from your insurance company to find a company name.
Does Cigna Insurance Cover Alcohol or Drug Rehab?
Cigna health care policies that are provided through the marketplaces or via employer-sponsored programs are required by law to provide some coverage for chemical dependency treatment. This is due to a number of federal laws.
The Affordable Care Act mandates that any health insurance policy sold through these methods includes certain types of coverage. That includes behavioral health, which includes addiction treatment. That means when you’re seeking drug or alcohol rehab, Cigna has to provide some type of benefit for it.
Parity laws, which predate the Affordable Care Act, require that insurance plans that include behavioral health benefits can’t attach crazy copays or deductibles to those benefits. That means that, in most cases, the copay and deductible associated with your Cigna addiction treatment must be in line with the copays and deductibles associated with any other type of medical treatment. In fact, on most Cigna plans, your deductible builds over all types of treatment; that means if you have had any type of medical treatment this year, you may have met your deductible already. That lowers the overall out-of-pocket cost of your treatment in Cigna drug rehab centers.
While the specifics of each policy vary, the bottom line is this: If you have a Cigna health insurance plan, you are entitled to some type of mental health and addiction treatment that is covered by your insurance.
What Level of Care Is Available?
The type of care covered by your insurance company will depend on factors such as your individual plan, what professional referrals you have for treatment and your medical needs. But many of the levels of treatment offered at FHE are covered by many plans, including those below.
- Detox, whether it’s medically assisted or not. This level of care lets you enter treatment without fearing that withdrawal symptoms will knock you off track. The professional staff at FHE Health works with you to ensure you’re as comfortable as possible as you get through the first days or weeks of stopping substance abuse.
- Onsite psychiatric treatment. For those who are dealing with heavy issues or facing a co-occurring mental health diagnosis in addition to addiction, various psychiatric treatments, including medications, med management, and therapy, may be covered.
- Residential treatment. Inpatient treatment programs are proven to be highly effective in helping individuals seek sobriety. A stay in a residential program is often covered by insurance, including Cigna.
- Outpatient and follow-up care. Insurance companies know that continued follow-up and appropriate step-down programs are critical to help reduce the chance of relapse. These services are often covered because insurance companies know that it’s less expensive to maintain sobriety than it is to pay for rehab again.
FHE offers a wide range of services related to addiction treatment and rehab, and we can help you understand which offerings may be right for you and which are covered by your insurance plan.
How Much Will Cigna Drug Rehab Center Services Cost?
It’s important to know that Cigna — and most other private health insurance plans — don’t cover 100 percent of the cost of treatment. In most cases, the total cost that is owned by the patient depends on the details of their policy, including:
- The deductible. This is the amount you’re required to pay each year before your insurance begins covering costs. Depending on your plan, deductibles can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.
- Copays and co-insurance. Once your deductible is met, your Cigna insurance plan begins to be responsible for a portion of your medical bills. How much of that portion is covered by insurance depends on your copay and coinsurance amounts. This is the amount of the cost that is considered the responsibility of the patient. For example, Cigna may pay 80 percent of allowed costs and leave the other 20 percent to be paid by you.
- Network allowable. Insurance companies do not consider the total amount billed by most providers. Instead, they work on “allowed” amounts, which can bring down the total cost of services. For example, if a provider bills $500 for a service but the insurance company’s contracted allowed rate is only $350, the insurance company will only consider $350. That means if you are supposed to pay 20 percent, you only pay 20 percent of the $350.
- Out-of-pocket maximum. Each plan has a set maximum for the out-of-pocket costs a patient will pay each year. Once you reach that amount, the insurance company begins to pay 100 percent and you’re no longer left with a copay or coinsurance.
Get a Confidential Insurance Verification Today
Insurance coverage can be a complex affair, but we make it easy for you to understand what your Cigna health insurance will cover. Reach out to us today online or via phone to initiate a confidential insurance verification. During this process, we call your insurance company to find out everything we can about how Cigna addiction treatment may be covered. Then, we provide that information to you so you can make an informed decision about seeking rehab.
Please know that verification of your insurance is completely confidential. It will also never impact your ability to have insurance or your employment. Your employer is never informed about verifications of insurance or even charges to your insurance plan.
Call us right now to put your mind at ease and learn more about how rehab and addiction treatment is covered under your plan.