Babies Found Bags of Drugs and Helped Themselves
In two unrelated incidents this past week in the Bronx, one-year-old babies found bags of drugs and ingested the contents before their parents realized what had happened.
Police said the one of the overdoses happened Saturday around 7 a.m. at a home on Tiebout Ave. near East Fordham Road in Fordham Heights.
According to sources, Edgardo Rodriguez, 20, fell asleep with narcotics under his pillow, and his one-year-old daughter ate a narcotic. The baby was rushed to the hospital were she was revived with Narcan.
The other one-year-old girl overdosed in a separate incident Sunday night, the city police department said.
In this incident, the young girl was in a stroller on East 181st St. near Monterey Ave. when her parents noticed a plastic bag, which was coated with an unknown residue, in her mouth. It turned out not to be candy!
After she started to show signs of an overdose, she was taken to Saint Barnabas Hospital and given Narcan.
The Bronx has suffered more overdoses that any other borough in NY, with the total number of deaths doubling last year. “In a place like the Bronx, where there was a long term underlying addiction issue, all of a sudden you saturate the area with cheap accessible heroin, and you’re going to start to see the spike,” the city’s special narcotics prosecutor, Bridget Brennan, said in an interview.
Are you or a loved one struggling with addiction? Don’t wait any longer to ask for help. In today’s environment, you never know when your next dose will be your last!
Our Neuro Rehabilitation approach helps address the root causes of addiction once and for all.
To learn more about these overdoses in the Bronx, please visit NY1.com.